Everybody is selling something to someone
- A parent selling discipline to a child
- A teacher selling knowledge to student
- An employer selling job to an employee
- A recruiter selling an opportunity to a candidate
- A potential employee selling his skills to an employer
- A marketer selling a concept to potential partners
- A salesperson selling a product to a potential buyer
- An Entrepreneur pitching an idea to an investor
- An investor pitching term sheet to an entrepreneur
So technically, everybody is a salesman at some point, and a person has also been sold at some point. So the baseline is the act of sale.
Basic rules of selling
There were many instances in our careers we were interacting with people, and most often, we pitch them a product or an idea without first connecting with them. Unfortunately, most of the time, this leads to a lost deal or a lost opportunity.
A good salesman needs to understand five basic things about the other person.
- Who is this person I am trying to sell?
- Why is this person the person, the one who has to buy?
- What pain point might this person have that my product or solution can solve?
- How can I connect with this person to invoke that desire to buy?
- Why is now the right time for this person to buy?
Most often, when we assume that this person already has a pain point, we take a 50-50 chance of pitching without connecting or checking if they really have the pain point. As a result, we lose this person’s interest, often leaving a wrong impression, which could be detrimental somehow.
Our goal – to prepare you well for a meeting so that you can sell confidently!
We at 1Page, do not want you to take a chance! We were hoping you could show them you know them, build a good rapport and then sell so that getting yes will be higher.
- Start getting to know them
- Show that you have done your research
- Discuss the pain and see if they identify with that pain
- Confirm how they are solving them
- Offer a solution
- If you get a yes, congratulations!
Not every meeting ends in a sale. But in the latter approach, you have a higher chance of this person recommending a prospect during the meeting or later — for a simple reason – they liked you, they connected with you.
With 1Page, we want you to connect with your prospects confidently with the research you have done. 1Page is the app you always go to when you are getting ready for a meeting!